Tomorrow is Christmas - well for us!

Just got off the phone with Aaron as he wanted to call me to tell me he went poop. Yea! Damon is with him tonight, then tomorrow they will come home and we will celebrate Christmas. He is so excited, and I am so glad he gets to come home tomorrow. There is a lot of drama right now with decisions regarding the surgery - location, doctor, etc. We keep being told that if we leave the study Aaron isn't a candidate for the stem cell transplant, but I have the oncologist on a recorded conversation telling us that Aaron has to have a transplant. I just feel unsettled about the whole thing, and the only reason that it matters is that the best implant for his leg may take a while to make and that would disqualify us from the study. It's hard for me to speak up to the doctor sometimes as I am such a people pleaser and I don't want to offend him. Part of this learning experience is to truly be an advocate and put those childish things behind me.

My friends saved the day - or days- again. Malinda let me crash her party on Christmas eve as I was truly a wreck. Then she hung out with me on Christmas day and Doug and Lauren visited Aaron. THEN she also stepped in and babysat for me on Friday afternoon as Aaron's MRI was pushed back. What would I do without her! Pam then kicked in and came and spent the evening with us which was great so I couldn't just cry and mope. It is hard not to. I just had this whole conversation with Damon about whether Aaron is getting a blood transfusion, and what he needs to be pre-medicated with like this is some normal thing. I DON'T WANT MY LITTLE BOY GETTING REGULAR BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS!!! There, got that off of my chest!

I am no fun but yet you all stick with me. I am at a loss, but so thankful. I am telling you, one thing I am learning is how to be a better friend when this is done. My friends are loving me in such needed and practical ways, and I see how bad at that I am. I can't say thank you enough!

2 comments:

Aimee- said...

Barbara you blessed me with the help and friendship you offered me when our family at the begining of 2008 was going through our two loved ones passings and cancer issues. We are here for you always. If you need anything. Thank you for your openess and honesty. It really helps me to know how to help and pray.

Love you my friend! Hugs.

Pam Smith said...

You are a wonderful friend. I'm blessed to be yours. Hope the transition home went smooth today. I'm so glad he's doing so well. Thanks for sharing your heart.

Love you!

FYI - We're going to need 3D glasses to watch one of the Super bowl adds. :)