Delicious and easy scone recipe

Inspired by Sally Clarkson's exhortation to bring "civility" into our worlds at home with tea times and beautiful things, I have been trying my hand at scones lately. My friend Carolynne, who actually lived in England for many years, shared her recipe with me and it is wonderful. This is an easy recipe, and if I am able to make it successfully anyone is. The only tool you need is a pastry cutter, and if you don't have one they are at Target. Here is the recipe:

Cranberry Lemon Scones

2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 tablespoons chilled butter
1/2 cup dried cranberries
2 tsp grated lemon peel
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon sugar - set aside

Buttermilk: I just measure regular milk or 2% and squeeze in about 1 tsp of lemon juice and let it sit . . . I don't buy a whole carton of buttermilk for this :0)

Combine the flour, the 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt.

Cut in the butter until crumbly.

Stir in dried cranberries and lemon peel.

Pour in the buttermilk and stir with a fork until the mixture hold together. Gather the dough into a ball and gently knead a few times on floured surface.
Pat out dough into an 8" circle and cut into 8 wedges. Or use a biscuit cutter to make round scones.

Place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheet and brush the top with a little milk and sprinkle with the 1T sugar before baking.

Bake at 425 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes. I would check at 12 minutes!

Serve warm.

Enjoy!

No comments: