Best Laid Plans

The other morning I wanted to have a special time with my oldest son drinking hot chocolate with breakfast and reading his children's Bible. I had built up in my mind a beautfiul time that he would think was so neat. So I made the (warm) hot chocolate, got breakfast ready, and woke up my precious boy to have our special breakfast. Well, like his daddy the little guy is not so fond of being woken up. He also likes a little time to "transition", not just get rushed to the table. So, my plans were getting a little off, but I still forged ahead. Then we sat down at the table, and I offered him the hot chocolate out of a "big boy" cup, anticipating an excited response. Imagine my surprise when we turned his head in refusal. Undaunted, I got a straw to lure him to try the unknown treat. That was met with a classic, movie-style spitting out of the hot chocolate all over my nice, cream-colored robe. At that point I was a little upset, didn't he know what he was missing? This was a special time I had planned after all! The Lord stopped me in my tracks to remind me of my goal - to provide one-on-one time where we could have fun and create a good memory. So, I regrouped and let him lead the way. After he was fully awake, he was excited about his time with mommy with no little brother, we read his Bible, and had a great time. I am just continually reminded that my planning and controlling seldom work out as I expect. When I release my plans and my control, however, God is free to work and accomplish great things.

1 comment:

Kimberly Jarman said...

I'm loving reading the blog! What great words of wisdom! Keep it up!